Tuesday Five: how to go about finding a job
The job market is a tough one. How do you go about finding your dream job, much less to say, just a job? I say, remain open to new possibilities, expand your search by telling others and entrust it to His will. It may take time, but something will come about. Keep praying and trusting.
You have to do your part, you know the story of a man on his roof during a flood. He keeps praying for God to get him off of the roof, but doesn’t actually receive the assistance that is sent to him. We have to do our part. For a job search that would include this five practical tips:
- update your resume (if you need help, go to a career center and ask for assistance)
- use various resources; websites, your local newspaper, craigslist, monster.com, catholicjobs.com, Diocesan newspaper, OSV, NCR, etc.
- network; ask around, let people know that you are looking and what types of work you are interested in.
- connect through social media; LinkedIn and Facebook are a good start.
- pray and give it over to God. Maybe this is a time for you to trust Him.
If it is difficult to find a job right now, it does not mean that you are not worthwhile or that there is not something out there for you. Your worth is not what you do. You are a child of God and that is your worth. Finding a job can be a difficult and stressful task, but don’t give up. Keep plugging away at it and trust that something will open up. Acknowledge that you are not alone in your job search. Take the opportunity to trust in God, He will provide. His ways are not our ways.
What is one way that you have found a job?