Tuesday Five: Ways to meet a good, Catholic man
We all know that ‘our hearts are restless until they rest in thee’, but the journey to that resting sure is nice with a partner along the way. Not someone who will be your end all or will ‘make you happy’, but someone to just share the journey of life with and contribute to the happiness that is already there. If you are looking for a friend for life through the Sacrament of Marriage, here are five ways to meet that special someone.
- At church, of course. Where better can you think of than at the local parish? Join a Bible study or attend the parish picnic.
- Through family and friends. If you are really interested in meeting someone, ask your close family members or friends if they know of any good, single men out there, one that might a good match for you. Be willing to be ‘set up’ and don’t close any doors at first. Statistically, arranged marriages have less than a 5% divorce rate! That’s pretty good. So good ahead, let your family and friends choose whom they might think would be good for you.
- At young adult events in your diocese. There are many dioceses that host ‘Theology on Tap’, young adult outings and even pilgrimages. Check your local diocesan webpage for more information.
- Have you been online? More and more people are meeting their potential spouses online. Try avemariasingles.com, catholicmatch.com or even eharmony.com
- Stay at home and allow God to bring him to you. I know many say ‘you can’t stay at home unless you want to marry the mailman’. But I know more than one girl who met her husband while she was at home. My co-worker was vacuuming when the doorbell rang. It was a man running for office going around the neighborhood talking with the voters. If she wasn’t at home that afternoon, she may never have met him! Maybe vacuuming isn’t so bad!